Penguin Great Ideas is a series of mainly non-fiction books published by Penguin Books. Titles contained within this series are considered to be world-changing, influential and inspirational. Topics covered include history, philosophy, politics, science and culture. The project has resulted in six series of twenty books, each about one hundred and twenty pages long. After a nearly decade long hiatus a new sixth series was issued this Fall.
The mission statement of Penguin Great Ideas is : “GREAT IDEAS. Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves – and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives – and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whose ideas shook civilization and helped make us who we are.”
All books in series six have teal spines.
101. One Swallow Does Not Make a Summer – Aristotle
102. Being Happy – Epicurus
103. How To Be a Stoic – Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and Epictetus
104. Three Japanese Buddhist Monks – Yoshida Kenkō, Kamo no Chōmei and Saigyō Hōshi
105. Ain’t I A Woman? – Sojourner Truth
106. Anarchist Communism – Peter Kropotkin
107. God is Dead – Friedrich Nietzsche
108. The Decay of Lying – Oscar Wilde
109. Suffragette Manifestos – Various
110. Bushido: The Soul of Japan – Inazo Nitobe
111. The Freedom to Be Free – Hannah Arendt
112. What Is Existentialism? – Simone de Beauvoir
113. The Power of Words – Simone Weil
114. Reflections on the Guillotine – Albert Camus
115. The Narrative of Trajan’s Column – Italo Calvino
116. A Tough Mind and a Tender Heart – Martin Luther King Jr.
117. Steps Towards a Small Theory of the Visible – John Berger
118. When I Dare to Be Powerful – Audre Lorde
119. Brief Notes on the Art and Manner of Arranging One’s Books – Georges Perec
120. Why Vegan? – Peter Singer
Great in depth reading to understand the world around us.
Great series, and such cool cover designs too!